Monday, December 10, 2007

on simplicity and seasons changing

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Even though I've seen it a hundred times, falling snow is one of those sensations in life, for me anyway, that can't be explained. It gets me giddy like a child inside, and I watch the way the flakes fall to the ground with wonder. How can something so simple be so beautiful?

I think that maybe it's the way that snow makes everything look more simple. More perfect. There are no blemishes, no muddy colors to cloud the purity.

I used to feel a little melancholy whenever the snow season would come crashing in around me. It felt gloomy, like some shadow was being cast over the earth. But now I feel like life is somehow mirrored in this scene.

There is a purpose for the seasons, and for change. When things fall down or drift away in the autumn; when everything stands still in the winter, it is only making way for spring. And in the same way the ground is, I am covered, to be made new in the coming season.

With my cup of tea in hand, in the middle of this night, I'm finding comfort watching the sky fall to rest on the ground. Hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could share in your experience. I want snow!! All I get is rain! Rain, rain, go away!